Wednesday 21 July 2010

Moving on.....

Death comes to us all.   Everything, every single thing, that is alive on this planet right now one day will die.  There's no doubt that's a sobering thought and one that many people - very young children and grown mothers alike - find terrifying.  It's no wonder we don't want to contemplate it.

We are not alive for aeons of time, we're born and live for a few, brief years, and then we're gone forever.  The Anglo Saxons captured this brevity perfectly by comparing life to a bird flying from the endless darkness through a window into the sudden light, heat and noise of the mead-hall and flying straight out through another window back into the infinite darkness again.

I was up early this morning, having been unable to sleep well all night.  It was 5.30am and as I fed the cats, I noticed the morning was unfurling the most magnificent sunrise.  The sky was azure blue and streaked with gorgeous fiery clouds of orange, red and pink.  It stopped me in my tracks and I thought, "This would, indeed, be a good time to merge with the universe".  Then I went back to bed.

At 7am I received the news I had been expecting, that death had indeed arrived and it had been at 5.30am.  The passing had been peaceful - a very long life lived well and the ending surrounded by family; we should all wish for such an exit.

Farewell, D - you lived long and you prospered.  See you on the other side.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry my friend.. I know we all know it is going to happen but we never, ever get used to it. Kia Kaha

livesbythewoods said...

I'm sorry for your loss. It sounds as though it was a gentle and dignified ending, something we should all indeed wish for.

Monalisa said...

It is always a shock, even if you were expecting it.

Brown Dog said...

What a beautiful, philosophical post, Mrs J. So true, though - death is something few of us like to contemplate, but it is an inevitable part of life, and what better way to put it than merging with the universe.

Mrs Jones said...

Thank you all for your kind comments. My father-in-law was 95 years old and had been in hospital since the end of February so there was an inevitability to this (as there would be anyway at his age). I'm missing TLH terribly though, he's with his mum now helping with all the necessary arrangements but he's 300 miles away and won't be back until the weekend.

peevish said...

So sorry for your loss. I agree with your other commenters. Lovely post, and a beautiful photo, too.

A Woman Of No Importance said...

For everything there is a season, is there not, Mrs Jones...

Be strong and hold TLH close when he does get back. Blessings x

Mrs Jones said...

Peevish - thank you. Slight confession, the photo's not mine. I wasn't quite awake enough to think of picking up the camera but the one I posted was closest I could find online to what it actually looked like.

AWoNI - I know you've just been through something similar so hugs to you. It's never easy. TLH should be home tomorrow, I've been texting him hugs today, he's had a rough few days and I've just been too far away.