Sunday 14 August 2011

A day out!

I'm shattered.

Sylvester, our ancient and noisy cat, was very good and let me lie in until 7 this morning (he's normally grumbling at us by around 5.30) but, even so, it feels like I spent last night on the piss.  Which is odd, really, because yesterday was spent with the inestimable Katyboo (plus friends and family) doing very genteel things like going to the theatre and eating cake.  I'm such a lightweight.

I spent the morning at home alone as TLH had returned to his native homeland in order to construct flatpack furniture for his mam and stay over, and he left at about 7.30.  I got the 10.28 up to Waterloo, then the tube to Leicester Square and pootled about until our scheduled meeting time of 12 noon outside the theatre.  I was a little concerned that we'd not recognise each other but bearing in mind that my deciding to slap on some unaccustomed makeup plus my pink hair resulted in me ending up with a more than passing resemblance to Ronald McDonald, there was little difficulty in them spotting me in the heaving throng of bloody tourists.

It was a very nice surprise to discover that the Boo clan does actually exist and aren't just a figure of my deranged imagination.  And it shouldn't really have been a surprise to me to find that, literally within 5 minutes of meeting for the very first time, Katy and I were chatting about how much more perky properly fitted Rigby and Peller bras make your boobs.

Indeed, conversation between the 5 of was free ranging and organic, and included (but was not limited to) the following:

  • Whether or not the old Queen Mary had been given syphilis by her husband
  • The wisdom of importing Nazi memorabilia from Germany in order to make a killing (sorry) on eBay
  • Why crowns aren't more acceptable as everyday wear
  • That antique bakelite and diamante jewellery should be worn for doing the housework in
  • My inability to tap dance properly - I can do the feet but not the arms, and perhaps I'd be better suited to Irish riverdance stuff
  • Whether we could set up Katy and her dad in a shop to read tarot cards and do spiritual readings
  • Why 'esoteric' bookshops always smell of soap (it's the incense)
  • Pondering whether anyone was going to order 'Sauteed Dragon Whiskers with Two Kinds of Preserved Egg' on the menu
  • Or, indeed, the 'Braised Duck's Web with Fish Lips'.  For realz.
  • That you can change the sex of Gecko offspring depending on whether the egg is kept hot or cold.
  • That someone has seriously misunderstood the meaning of the word 'diet' if they think that includes the consumption of a large pork pie
  • The makes and colour of various combine harvesters
  • Back in 1981 seeing Donald Sinden in blackface playing the lead in Othello, depicting the mad scene by just waving his hands around a lot and moaning
  • The wisdom of trying to save money by constructing a much-needed neckbrace from (unused) old-style sanitary towels with loops and then being sent to school in it by your mother
  • Whether it would be possible to convince one's husband to wear a bandalero made from (unused) Tampax

....and so on.

Should you get the opportunity to meet Ms Boo in the flesh, I would highly recommend it for, not only is she most entertaining, she knows where the good cake shops are, a skill to be much admired and one in which I am sadly lacking.

The play?  You want to know about the play?  Okay.  We saw Dr Who and Donna in 'Much Ado About Nothing' at Wyndhams Theatre.  Now it's well known in Jones Towers that my critical faculties are sadly lacking - I enjoy pretty much everything; I'm very easily entertained.  And I thoroughly enjoyed this - yes, there was some scenery-chewing and a fair amount of slapstick but it all worked really well, and the cast looked like they were enjoying themselves too.  The audience gave them a standing ovation which, for a Saturday matinee two-thirds through the run, is good going.  Needless to say, reviews have been terrific and tickets are like gold dust but if you can get one, do go, it's terrific fun.

And my day ended with being able to get home in time to watch on the Proms the National Youth Orchestra playing Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet suite which had me snivelling like a baby.

All round, a bloody fab day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HA! An excellent summary of the day. We had a ball, a blast and all good things beginning with B. xxx

Anonymous said...

Knew you would have a good time. I am so jealous - would love to meet Ms Boo in the flesh, especially now I know she is actually real. But then again - how do I know you are?!!
Also, how did your hair go? Any funny looks? Did you feel conspicuous?

Mrs Jones said...

Katy - we did indeed, and I found myself snorting tea through my nose again when remembering about the sanitary towel neckbrace.

Ms Cheese - Yes, she is real!! She doesn't just live in my computer! Nah, no funny looks - this is London, remember? Everyone there has mad colour hair so I just blended in. So London was easy, but as for my home town....