Wednesday 28 April 2010

I knew it couldn't last......

Thank you, thank you, dear friends, one and all, for your very kind comments about my lovely new bag.

Having a new handbag is always a weird experience.  A woman's bag is her constant companion as it contains everything she needs to survive, and, like shoes or the man in your life, you get used to it, its little ways, how it hangs, etc.  So when you get a new one, much like new shoes or a new man, you have to break it in, work out the best way to display such item to its best advantage, mould it to your way of doing things.

I'm still not used to mine though.  A handbag gets most used when it accompanies you out of the house on errands, visits, trips.  I have left the house precisely once since last Friday.

I knew it couldn't last - that high you get after an especially good birthday.  Like I said in my previous post, I'm used to bad things happening on my birthday and, once again, the Gods didn't let me down this year.  I woke up on the morning of my birthday with a bit of a scratchy throat, a bit like I'd smoked too many fags the night before, but seeing as how I gave up coffin nails 14 years ago now, I knew that wasn't likely. I wasn't concerned, though, it was just a bit itchy but apart from that I felt great, the sun was shining and nothing was going to come between me and London.

It didn't actually get much worse during the day but I still took the precaution of anaesthetising it with Margaritas.  The next morning, Saturday, it was v scratchy indeed.  I also felt like I had a brick in my head and was very lethargic.

It's got worse every day since.  I have now borrowed Ms Katyboo's patented Chaise Longue of Death upon which I am currently reclining, the painful coughs wracking my poor bruised body, while I contemplate exactly how much liquid the human body can hold and wondering if it will ever stop pouring out of my nose. It's been ages since I've had a cold and I've no idea where I've got this one from as no-one I know has had one either.

I expect I've inhaled too much Ejlsfdsoikfhukjfall volcano dust, that'll be it....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You poor thing! I have been a bit sniffly but put it down to excessive dust due to lack of rain. I hope it goes as fast as it came.

Mrs Jones said...

Alienne - yes, poor me! It is very miserable as I now have a very tickly cough that is driving me (and, more importantly, TLH) insane (and in his case, stabby). I had to struggle out today to buy more balsam tissues for my sore schnoz and Veno's for my throat so took the opportunity to buy some shoes as well. In fact, I bought these in this exact colour - http://www.cloggs.eu/fr/El-Naturalista-Vente-en-ligne-de-chaussures-El-Naturalista/El-Naturalista-No96-Yggdrasil-Vert/invt/6580. I think I'm having a spending frenzy!! It hasn't noticeably made me feel much better though....

Anonymous said...

I know a number of people around here who have been quite ill lately. They've been mostly coughing up a lung, but accompanying that has been an extreme lack of energy. It sounds similar to what you describe, only we haven't been terribly affected by the volcanic ash ... at least I didn't think so!

Get well soon! xo

Mrs Jones said...

Pinklea - yep, that sounds like it. Positively consumptive. Trouble is, you're, like, eleventy thousand miles away from me so whatever it is, this virus must be pretty, umm, virulent....

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

(doncha just hate it when you write something really wise and witty, then it all disappears into cyberspace - Grrrrr... Well, what I just said much better ten minutes ago was don't talk to me about handbags - I'm between bags at the moment having forked out for a new one, which I just can't seem to get the hang of. Margheritas sound like just the ticket - perhaps there should be little tanned, slightly camp bartenders with shakers and umbrellas plus a plate of salt to dust around the edges on the NHS. Just off now to investigate Chaise Longue of Death (although I have heard that volcanic dust is terribly good for the skin, so perhaps you should be in the garden with your face slightly upturned, perfectly prepared Margherita at the ready...) Hope you're feeling more chipper soon.