Wednesday 7 January 2009

Things that made me smile today...

Surprisingly, I'm actually enjoying the cold weather, bizarre as that may seem. I like a cold, sharp winter with frost and clear blue skies, and, frankly, we haven't had enough of them in recent years. Winters have been too warm lately, grey, overcast, depressing. Of course, I may change my mind when I reach 70 (if I reach 70, that is) and am feeling the cold and wishing for warm, grey and depressing...

I feed the birds in my garden, have done for many years now, and have found that the robins really appreciate a good dried mealworm (yummy). I now buy them by the bucketload (and fresh wriggly ones in the summer - double yummy) but I needed to replenish supplies so P and I went off to our nearest big garden centre to get some. While I was wandering around looking at the houseplants and suchlike, P had spotted a couple of robins flying around inside the 'showrooms'. He opened one of the doors and ushered them outside. This has pleased me immensely - kindness to animals warms my heart.

The second thing that happened today was a post C, my sister-in-law, sent me. I asked for a purple sequinned beret from Topshop for Christmas which she kindly gave me. She said there was something she remembered reading about wearing a purple hat and I thought she meant that famous poem that starts, "When I am old I shall wear purple. With a red hat that doesn't go and doesn't suit me". She finally remembered today what it was and sent it to me - I've posted it below. I'm 45 years old and have grabbed my purple hat - don't you think you should have yours by now?



BEAUTIFUL WOMEN

Age 3: She looks at herself and sees a Queen.

Age 8: She looks at herself and sees Cinderella.

Age 15: She looks at herself and sees an Ugly Sister (Mom, I can't go to school looking like this!)

Age 20: She looks at herself and sees "too fat/too thin, too short/too tall, too straight/too curly"- but decides she's going out anyway.

Age 30: She looks at herself and sees "too fat/too thin, too short/too tall, too straight/too curly"-but decides she doesn't have time to fix it so she's going out anyway.

Age 40: She looks at herself and sees "too fat/too thin, too short/too tall, too straight/too curly"-but says, "At least I am "clean" and goes out anyway.

Age 50: She looks at herself and sees "I am" and goes wherever She wants to go.

Age 60: She looks at herself and reminds herself of all the people who can't even see themselves in the mirror anymore. Goes out and conquers the world.

Age 70: She looks at herself & sees wisdom, laughter and ability, goes out and enjoys life.

Age 80: Doesn't bother to look. Just puts on a purple hat and Goes out to have fun with the world.

Maybe we should all grab that purple hat earlier.

No comments: